Sunday, February 1, 2009


I've been sick since Wednesday. I finally got that cold that everyone's had for the last six months or so. My dad told me he just got over it, and he's had it since Christmas. It's February 1. I blame Cake, who is a person. When she and her hubby Tiger came out, she started talking about this tickle in her throat that she just couldn't get rid of. Since she's 6 mo pregnant, no one really paid any attention to it.

So Wednesday, exactly 10 days after my first 1/2 marathon I started my 2009 Tri training. I had given myself two weeks of recovery, but I really felt completely fine, and I was itching to get in the gym (and I had eaten so many desserts with Cake and Tiger came out - Tiger has a serious sweet tooth - that I was convinced that I was back in the 180's).

Ironically, my first practice was a pool swim. It's been quite awhile since I swam - like almost 2 full months. Don't let me fool you, I was more than a little scared that although I really needed the mental break, that I was going to get in the pool and forget how to swim altogether. Because of this, I had a plan. I was going to start with the Terry Laughlin drills. Backfloat, sweet spot, and sweet spot with my hand out front.

It felt pretty good. There were so many people in the pool that I had to go to the other indoor pool, which was fine, since I was just drilling. The secret is that the other pool is significantly warmer than the lane pool. I know this because halfway through my 30 min swim, everyone left, so I hopped into the lane pool. Regardless, I was pleased overall. It felt good to be in the water. No headaches, and I had actually only put on 2 lbs - which is nothing when you look at what I've been eating the last 10 days. 173 is a fairly good starting point for the season.

Wednesday night, I started feeling a tickle in my throat. Did I think it was Cake's tickle? No, didn't even cross my mind. I thought it was from the chlorine in the pool. Really I thought nothing of it, until J came home and told me he had a tickle in HIS throat. Oh no. J never ever ever gets sick, so when we have the same symptoms it's not good news. Still, I tried to ignore it.

Thursday morning, I was super excited because Lilac finally got her gym membership, and we were meeting to do our first brick workout. So I ignored the fact that my throat was really really sore. We got settled, we did 45 minutes at level 5, with a 30 second sprint/30 second heavy stand up on alternating 5's. I have to tell you, the standing up and peddling is not that easy. I can stand up, but I don't think I've ever tried to do anything but coast while I'm standing. I think it's going to do good things for me though.

We then went to the treadies to do 10 minutes of sprints and cool down. For someone who hasn't run for 10 days, my legs felt pretty weak sauce. 5.2 was a real struggle, and it shouldn't have been. I now know the answer. It was the cold.

After I left the gym, my health rapidly deteriorated. Unending snot. The cough started Friday morning, and it needs to be mentioned here that I had a final interview on Friday morning, so I couldn't take any cold medicine, which leaves me drooling and asleep, even if it's the daytime stuff. I cancelled on Lilac on Day 2. Sheesh. At 10, my 11:00 interview got moved to 3:30, and I started praying that I would make it to the interview.

I got the job! You're reading the blog of the new HQ CS Ops Strategy Manager. Go me! We were so thrilled that we decided to go out to dinner. I got in the shower, and as I was putting on my final touches, I called J and we decided to celebrate when we felt better. :)

Saturday morning, J goes to the gym and goes house shopping. I cancelled my biking date with Lilac and slept. I slept until about 11. Then I took a nap at 2. I did nothing by lay down all day, and I went to bed at 6.

I slept until 7 this morning, and I feel much better. I still see a nap in my future this morning, and I decided to give myself one more day before I go to the gym. It should be noted that J went to the gym again this morning, and he's still coughing up a lung. Meanwhile, he told me I should relax today because I "have a tendency to break down" 1+1=3.

Regardless, once I kick this cold, I'm looking forward to getting back to a regular routine!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the job!!!! Fancy title...that one should come with a Tiara!!!